Camp Harlam, one of thirteen Union for Reform Judaism camps around the country, is located in the foothills of the Pocono Mountains in Kunkletown, PA. Since their opening in 1958, Harlam has grown to its present size of over 300 acres with the current population of about 550 campers each session and a staff of over 200.
Domokur Architects’ work with Camp Harlam began in 2012 with the completion of a Master Plan for the camp. Working with the Site and Facilities Committee of Camp Harlam, the planning documents evolved through work sessions that reviewed the program requirements, existing conditions, project opportunities, alternatives, and opinions of probable construction costs. The resulting plan reflected the camp’s goals to upgrade facilities, lay the foundation for the camp’s future vision, and increase the “wow” factor of the camp’s programs.
Camp Harlam is currently in the process of executing the steps of this Master Plan. Work has been progressing in the Girls Village of cabins with 1 to 3 cabins being constructed every year since 2011. Domokur Architects recently completed the design on the 5 remaining cabins in the village with 2 of the 5 currently under construction. The latest construction work also includes a large shared deck for campers to gather as well as the third of four accessible cabins planned for the village.