Ridgecrest Summer Camps operates two Christian camps nestled high in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, just 20 minutes east of Asheville. Camp Ridgecrest for Boys was established in 1929 and Camp Crestridge for Girls was established in 1954. The Master Plan for Camp Ridgecrest aimed to increase capacity from 250 to 400+ campers. Domokur Architects was asked to develop the master plan and provide architectural design services for the renovation and addition of Lake Lodge, the camp administration building and site design services for the Camp Commons. Camp Commons is the gathering and activity area in front of Lake Lodge overlooking Lake Ridgecrest and connecting nearby facilities and activity areas including the dining hall, infirmary, staff housing, new multipurpose building, activity field, and waterfront.
Lake Lodge serves as the year round office for both Camps Ridgecrest and Crestridge as well as the headquarters for Camp Ridgecrest summer staff. The original building had received minor alterations and improvements over the years but was not meeting the needs of staff and daily camp operations. The new design is intended to meet current staff needs and provide room for future growth with large open office and collaborative areas. Multiple storage areas are designated for all the various camp storage needs including programs, administration, off-season recruiting materials, and store inventory. The building is fully winterized, while meeting current energy codes to create a sustainable, energy efficient facility. The new Lake Lodge is the backdrop of the Camp Commons and many camp activities, utilizing upper level porches and seating areas to address campers or stage activities from the Commons below.
The Camp Commons includes multiple two square and four square courts, a half basketball court, two gaga pits, shade sails and seating areas. The camp crest is painted in the center of the commons as a central gathering spot and perfect backdrop for camp photos. The new program deck overlooking the lake provides an upper level and built-in steps for seating down to a lower platform closer to the water level for camp activities. The new Camp Commons creates multiple zones for activities - replacing what was formerly an open asphalt parking lot.